September 4, 2011

Fashion That Cares - Kate Spade


I think that most would agree that people often view fashion as vain, selfish, frivolous, silly and well, any synonym of the above words.  As a matter of fact there were many times I talked myself out of pursuing a career in the industry for fear that others would think this way about me or even worse maybe I would actually become vain and selfish. Anna Wintour, editor in chief of American Vogue, alludes to this sentiment in The Septemeber Issue {movie}, "Just because you like to put on a beautiful Carolina Herrera dress or a pair of J Brand blue jeans instead of something basic from K-Mart it doesn't mean that you're a dumb person."

Helping others and giving back is a very important part of my life, on any level, whether it be helping out my community, my neighbor, or even the world. I can thank my mom and husband, who thoroughly convinced me that I could use fashion to help others, for the reason I decided to continue pursuing a career in fashion. 

I think I would add to Ms. Wintour's statement that not only are "fashion people" not dumb but they do in fact care about people outside the world of September issues, Fashion Week, and sample sales. 

So, I have decided to dedicate a post, as often as necessary, to Fashion That Cares. This is a topic very close to my heart and I feel that giving back is something that deserves to be honored. 


Kate Spade New York and Women for Women



The idea behind this partnership is to provide women in war-torn countries with training and fair wage employment by allowing these women to use traditional handcrafts in conjunction the design of Kate Spade New York. Currently the brand is working with women in Bosnia, Afghanistan, and Rwanda among other countries.

The hand crafted items are sold in Kate Spade stores and online. Each time a piece is bought from the 'hand in hand' collection the demand for products increase, therefore allowing Kate Spade to hire and train more women. 

The reason I really wanted to share this partnership with you is because I admire that Women for Women and Kate Spade don't just provide necessities, but train these women to become skilled workers enabling them to be successful on their own...a liberation in its own right.

The 'hand in hand' collection has become one of my favorite parts of shopping at Kate Spade and is usually the first display I head to when shopping. The pieces are beautiful and are a constant reminder that there are other people in the world, many of whom need my help.

To find out more about the 'hand in hand' collection and ways to help  visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment